Funerals/my mother's ashes

Question
My mother passed away in 1990 shortly before my 5th birthday. She and my father were in the process of divorcing when she passed. My father was unable to pay for her funeral so her older brother, my uncle covered it all. I don't think my father ever tried to take possesion but I recall my uncle saying to me once that the reason he had them was because he paid for the funeral. In 2003 when I was 18 I asked muy uncle for her ashes. I'll never forget his response. "They're not for sale," he answered before hanging up on me.
My mother had another daughter; my older half sister whom was adopted by this uncle. I feel that she had no rights tho the ashes since legally my mother was her aunt. Not that she's expressed any interest. I'm going to ask my uncle for her ashes again and if he denies my request I'm wondering if I have any legal rights to her ashes. We live in MN. If I do have legal rights to any of her remains I'd be pro sť as I am disabled and cannot afford an attorney. I understand that these matters are heard in probate court in the county the person died in. Help.

Answer
Because your uncle paid for the cremation, he is entitled to the ashes.

You might consider asking him for a portion of the ashes and see if he will agree to that.

If not, you can certainly consider probate but I'm not very hopeful that you would prevail. Sorry.

Funerals

Lisa Carlson