Funerals/Decomposition Questions

Question

3 months ago, my best friend passed away very suddenly at the age of 28.  In the past, she'd mentioned in passing that she wanted to be cremated and I wanted this, but being a healthy young woman she didn't have a will and her parents decided to bury her traditionally in a coffin in a vault.  

I wanted her to be cremated because I wanted to keep some of her ashes in a pendant or urn (we were very very close) but this is not possible now.  I wonder how long it will take for some of "her" to decompose and get into the soil in her grave so I can take some of the dirt and use it instead.  Here's what I know:

--The coffin is in a concrete vault
--The coffin is made of oak wood with metal handles and a satin lining and pillow
--My friend was buried in a long cotton dress and has a copper bracelet on.  She's barefoot but I don't know if she has undergarments
--We live in a hot climate in general, and it's been a very hot summer

Thanks for your help.  I just want to do this little ritual soon.

Answer
Hi Allison,

I'm so sorry that your best friend transitioned and that her wishes weren't known in advance (please write yours down and give them to your family!!!!)  :-(

Your friend is going to take a long, long time to return to the soil. Decomposition won't begin to happen until soil is in actual contact with her physical body, and it will take a long time for the concrete vault to collapse, and then for the oak casket to break down...decades, if not longer.

I think you're going to have to have your own private ceremony for her without the physical bits of her, HOWEVER -- if you have a piece of clothing or anything of hers, that will have a little bit of her on it; remember, we 'shed' constantly; we are not pristine beings!!! Even a tiny something is something, and if you can't get the tiniest physical something then you have her in your heart and your mind, and that is more than enough for a meaningful ritual.

So, relax about recovering her from her physical grave, and just be confident that she's down there, in the earth, taking her long sweet time, and rejoining the elements she's made from eventually. Maybe you can go and sit in the cemetery with her on a nice day, during a late summer afternoon when the breezes are blowing, and let her know you're going to send her off in your own way. You'll get some good ideas about what would be just perfect, and then it will be.

I hope that helped!

in trees,

Cynthia  

Funerals

Cynthia Beal