You are here:

Funerals/I may have to move my son's grave


Fair wrote at 2015-05-12 20:32:41
Jefferson Memorial is in no way at fault in this situation.  They gave you a free single burial space for your son. You could have purchased the space next to him.  As you stated, "several months later" they gave someone else a free single burial space.  Burial spaces are sold separately.  There are no double burial spaces. You can certainly disinter the body and move by obtaining a permit from the health department, paying for someone (normally a vault company)to disinter and relocate. Jefferson Memorial can then give the space to someone who will appreciate.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lisa Carlson


Funeral Law. Having written a 512-page book on funeral law for consumers with state-by-state information, I am very conversant with consumer rights in this regard: What are the laws on disposition of cremated remains? Is embalming required? Do I have to use a funeral home? Can I have a home wake? Is it a state law to buy a vault? I prepaid for a funeral but changed my mind. They won`t give me all my money back. What can I do? . . . If you have an immediate need for information because a death has just occurred or is about to occur, you may call me at 802-482-6021.


I have monitored the funeral industry on behalf of consumers for over 20 years. I have been a guest speaker to funeral trade organizations, consumer workshops, and social service professionals. I am regularly consulted by lawyers and legislators as well as journalists.

Funeral Ethics Organization ( Funeral Consumers Alliance (

Caring for Your Own Dead (1987) Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love (1998) I Died Laughing: Funeral Education with a Light Touch (2001) Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death (2011) with co-author Joshua Slocum

Masters degree in Administration and Special Education

Past/Present Clients
Available as an expert witness for funeral-related court cases.

©2017 All rights reserved.