Funerals/Questions Answered by Expert Cynthia Beal

SubjectDate Asked
funeral1/30/2017
  Q: I live in pa but I am not sure what the laws are here. thank you for your time jimmy
  A: Sorry for the delay in answering - I'm on a cemetery tour and not easily on the internet. I ...
Relocating cremains12/1/2016
  Q: I want to relocate my parents' cremains from a columbarium in Florida to their home town in Kansas ...
  A: Lucky for you, cremated remains are 1) considered "personal property" under the law and thus not ...
Veteran Dis-internment from Private Cemetery10/27/2016
  Q: Read a question your responded to regarding a case in Maryland. My father passed in 1977....never ...
  A: Welcome to the high cost of dying. :-( Most of the Military Veterans benefits have been gutted by ...
Decomposition Questions7/17/2016
  Q: 3 months ago, my best friend passed away very suddenly at the age of 28. In the past, she'd ...
  A: I'm so sorry that your best friend transitioned and that her wishes weren't known in advance (please ...
Second Right internment7/13/2016
  Q: I am purchasing a niche for my parents in the future. They will be cremated. To save cost, I want ...
  A: Boy, that's some pricey second right!! It's good your BS detector went off! 1) The cemetery - not ...
Bringing ashes home9/6/2015
  Q: At the time my spouse died I was such a mess a family member arranged for the ashes to be placed in ...
  A: Lucky for you, it's easy to remove - and move - cremated remains. Doubly lucky for you, all you need ...
Parent's cemetery plots/ownership8/24/2015
  Q: My Dad's wife is the sole beneficiary of his assets per his will. (this is currently being ...
  A: Boy, that's a complicated setup!I feel for you. Cemetery laws vary from state to state, and the ...
depth needed for urn placement in cemetery8/17/2015
  Q: What is the depth needed for placing an urn in a church cemetery in North Carolina? I have been ...
  A: The depth of an urn placement generally is - and always SHOULD be - up to the cemetery and its ...
Obtaining the right to burial in a plot not owned by me but paid for and not used5/6/2015
  Q: My family has a section in a cemetery in Kansas city mo one plot was purchased but not used many ...
  A: Except for in some special circumstances where prohibited and/or controlled BY THE CEMETERY, ...
Rules to embalm remains to take home to USA4/4/2015
  Q: April 4, 2015, 8:24 am. Sirs: My 78 year-old brother passed away yesterday at 7 pm, April 3, ...
  A: I wish I could give you a more detailed answer, but this is something the USA family will need to ...
second right of inurnment3/7/2015
  Q: Cynthia My mom just recently passed and her funeral expenses were paid back in 01. After the ...
  A: It's not at all uncommon for someone to purchase a right of interment - the right to bury a body or ...
Spouses buried in same plot1/22/2015
  Q: My Mom passed away 10-15-10 and was cremated. Her remains are still with me. My Dad is close to ...
  A: What you're asking for is pretty standard, and I imagine the North Carolina cemetery will ...
Body temperature1/5/2015
  Q: Cynthia, I have a somewhat strange question. The daughter of a friend recently died and her mother ...
  A: I don't know the answer to this question and, like you, can only speculate. Since the topic of ...
Movingb my daughter's ashes....11/21/2014
  Q: My ex-fiancée and I had a beautiful 3-week old daughter who passed away in May of 2013. Since then ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty here. I may not be the best person to answer this ...
Disinterment for Cremation9/3/2014
  Q: My mother passed away 31 July and always declared she never wanted to be put in a box. My aunt ...
  A: Your problem is a common one - too few people pre-plan their final dispositions these days and leave ...
stack coffins in the same plot8/20/2014
  Q: In the State of Iowa are you allowed to stack two coffins in the same plot?
  A: This is an interesting question, primarily because you wonder specifically about IOWA -- and, while ...
Cemetery /flood area7/26/2014
  Q: Can a cemetery be started or extended in a flood zone? If there is a already exsiting cemetery ...
  A: Land use permissions are always governed by the land use planners in an area. If you'd asked ...
removing a grave marker in north carolina7/14/2014
  Q: My deceased husband did not want to be buried any where near his mother. She put a grave marker on a ...
  A: This must be a frustrating experience for you. Unfortunately, you can do as much about this as you ...
Ward of the State burial4/10/2014
  Q: My mother is considered a ward of the state. She is now in failing health. I don't know what to ...
  A: I'm only going to be able to give you a couple of ideas here, and then you're going to have to ...
remains2/4/2014
  Q: Is someone with no family states in their will that they want to be cremated, but they don't specify ...
  A: What happens varies from State to State, crematory to crematory, and person to person. That said, ...
reburial2/3/2014
  Q: My uncle is buried in Fort Rosecrans Natl. Cemetery, San Diego, CA. The family is in N. Alabama. ...
  A: One way to do this is simply to contact both cemeteries and ask them. Cemeteries often handle ...
title transfer of deceased parents cemetery plots1/31/2014
  Q: My father left me his paper work on two plots he purchased in 1963 for my mother and father... they ...
  A: In this case, the cheapest way is the probably the most efficient way: 1) Identify what you have to ...
cremation1/18/2014
  Q: My husband passed away 12/4/13.. He was in the hospital with a heart attack.. We made arrangements ...
  A: Professional boards are created by state governments for exactly this type of situation - you've ...
Can a non-family member place a marker on grave site?11/21/2013
  Q: My brother died a couple of years ago and was cremated and buried on my parents grave site. My ...
  A: Cemeteries are very familiar with working out desires like this, as it's common for family members ...
Cremains eco-friendly burials11/14/2013
  Q: When people have cremains buried in an natural and environmentally minded setting, what does that ...
  A: and thanks for your question, Michelle, I'll start with the regulations-side of your questions ...
Plot owner rights10/25/2013
  Q: A member of my family who does not get along with me has recently sent me a letter declaring that I ...
  A: It's unfortunate that you're having this experience. Generally, in instances like this it's best ...
grave plot9/9/2013
  Q: Mother passed away. Four sisters in family, one is the power of attorney. Can the sister who is ...
  A: The details of plot ownership and the subsequent control of the rights is best answered by the ...
Burial in private cemetery9/5/2013
  Q: I own property in Maine that has several old private family cemeteries. These have not had any ...
  A: Maine has made clear provision for family burial grounds: ...
Burial specifications8/31/2013
  Q: What are the burial specifications in the state of Oklahoma, McClain County. Specifically: are ...
  A: No states prohibit cardboard caskets. Here's the link to the State of Oklahoma's FAQ on burial: ...
Burial Laws8/15/2013
  Q: My grandmother was married to my grandpa for 15 years then he fell in love with my grandma's best ...
  A: I understand your question. Laws about who inherits what may differ from state to state. The best ...
The cost to have a private cemetary on my land7/31/2013
  Q: How much does it cost to have a private cemetery on my land. I live in Oklahoma and know it is ...
  A: You didn't specify whether or not the cemetery was for private family use or a private business. A ...
Couple burried together7/28/2013
  Q: I would like to know if my husband and I can be buried together. I realize the odds of us both ...
  A: Interesting question, and you're not the first person to ask if two people can be buried together. ...
casket viewing7/17/2013
  Q: is it possible to have a casket viewing if the person was found deceased for 3 days or is it not ...
  A: You've described a situation that embalming, known as the "Restorative Art", has been designed to ...
Cremated remains5/31/2013
  Q: We have my Aunts cremated remains in a metal box that's was given to us from the crematory. We also ...
  A: You should contact the cemetery sexton or management directly to find out if they require a funeral ...
Second Right Interment4/24/2013
  Q: We recently buried (in a crypt) our Mother in WV. Our younger sister is now talking about being ...
  A: Multiple rights of interment (burial) can be confusing. Generally, a right of interment (or a right ...
moving cremated remains4/23/2013
  Q: my father died in 2003 and his wife took his cremated remains to iowa and buried them on top of her ...
  A: Cremated remains are generally considered "personal property" but there is no technical ownership of ...
requirements for burial4/20/2013
  Q: is there a state statute in Oklahoma that requires you to be buried in a casket and have a vault. i ...
  A: I, like you, am unable to find any state statutes that require burial in either a casket or a vault ...
grave change3/21/2013
  Q: my sister was buried in a cemetery she did not want to be can i move her body to lie in rest in the ...
  A: Disinterment regulations vary from State to State. I think your best bet would be to contact the ...
ruralburialpaynecountyoklahoma3/5/2013
  Q: Wife and I anticipating both our burials being on 5 acres located in rural payne county oklahoma ...
  A: According to the book Final Rights (Slocum and Carlson, available online), in Ohio "there are no ...
private funeral services3/1/2013
  Q: My Grandmother recently pasted, there is a disconnect with one of my uncles. He refuses to let ...
  A: I'm sorry you're having to manage this type of challenge in such a trying time. While there are ...
private cemetery certificates2/16/2013
  Q: We have created a non-profit family cemetery in a rural area. When a plot is sold, what kind of ...
  A: Cemetery rights are generally transferred VIA a deed, just like other rights are. You should do some ...
Can my children not sign any paperwork at the funeral home his sister chose?1/27/2013
  Q: My children's father passed away 1/17/13, with no will. His sister took it upon herself to not ...
  A: I'm sorry that you're experiencing difficulty. Incomplete planning - coupled with neglecting to ...

All Questions in This Category

Funerals

Cynthia Beal

Top Expert on this page