Furniture Repair and Assembly/Couch springs/re upholster

Question
couch
couch  

couch 2
couch 2  
I am working on re upholstering an old couch. The springs are bulging out through the bottom. I removed the fabric and found a system of "coil springs?" attached by string.  There appears to be 3 rows and 12-16 columns. I prefer to not restring the coils as the seem to be secure at the base of the cushion, but rather "overstretched" if that makes sense.  I read on a previous post that someone recommended putting plywood down?  I am considering that and would like feedback.  So in my estimations the cushion would still have "give" but the springs would have a stable base at the distal end? Am I crazy? It seems to be the easiest option?  I removed several layers of what appeared to be burlap strips which just lost there stability over time? Here is a pic.  I can take more if need be.  Thanks in advance for any advice!  Becky

Answer
Becky, you need lots of help by the looks of your sofa.

You need webbing like is shown on the back and you need a jute webbing stretcher to pull it tight so you can mount the coil spring straight onto the webbing with hogrings.  You will need hogring plyers to do this and a staple gun.  If you go to your local upholsterer they may be able to help.

By using a board you do not have access to fasten the spring which will cause the spring to slip away and collapse.  

Hope this is helpful.  

Furniture Repair and Assembly

Craftmaster Custom Upholstery Ltd.