Furniture Repair and Assembly/Iron Bed Hardware

Hello Steve,

I asked a question before about the iron bedpost needing a "bolt" of some sort and you requested a few more photos. Please see attached and let me know what you think.

Thanks again,

The finial is decorative and not structural. So the easiest way to reattach it would be with an epoxy or JB Weld adhesive. Coat the threaded rod and put a generous amount inside the finial. Then set the finial on the post and position. The extra glue in the finial will flow down around the threaded rod an make a good joint. You may need to place some tissue paper around the threaded rod  below the brass disk to keep all the glue from flowing into the top of the post before it hardens and not leaving enough to make a good bound. Clean off any excess adhesive before it dries. Basically you are filling the gap and making a new "nut" with the thick glue.

Furniture Repair and Assembly

Steve Nearman

Furniture care, preservation, conservation, repair, restoration, refinishing, gluing, gold leaf, upholstery, fire-water-smoke damage restoration, transit damage, antique restoration, brass polishing, piano refinishing, veneering, replacement parts, color matching, custom finishes, kitchen refinishing, furniture stripping, seat weaving (hand caning, rush, reed, danish cord), marble repair, antique trunk restoration, wicker restoration, upholstery and frame repairs, fine art restoration and more.

Over 45 years of professional furniture restoration services. Owner/proprietor of The Master's Touch Furniture Service in Fredericksburg, VA Web site: Founder and Director of the Professional Restorers International Web site:

Founder and director of Professional Restorers International, Member Professional Refinishers Guild

Furniture restoration has been my life's work.

My local clients include several historical sites like, Kenmore, Mary Ball Washington's House, Rising Sun Tavern, Gary Melcher's Belmont and many private collectors of early American furniture.