Furniture Repair and Assembly/spring repair

Question
I have an antique stuffed chair that the customer took apart to refinish the wood then brought to me the springs a mess the webbing is gone. I know how and have done the traditional 8 way tie many times, but this chair is very old and has been done many times. I really don't think it can withstand the hammer to do the traditional 8 way tie. My question is there a way to do this without ruining the frame? My thought was possible helical spring between coil springs? I'm grasping at straws here would love your feedback and advice.
Thanks Maggie's Upholstery

Answer
Margaret, if you are rewebbing the bottom you can put coil springs and in between the springs fill it with 6 - 8" foam, consistent with height of springs and if you think it is too delicate for that you can use rubber webbing instead of springs.  Failing that you can cut a board the size of the opening to fit in and reupholster it that way.  By doing a board you will probably have to nail in a wood lip to fit the board on.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Carrie

Furniture Repair and Assembly

Craftmaster Custom Upholstery Ltd.