Furniture Repair and Assembly/Craftsman Recliner

Recliner 001
Recliner 001  

Recliner 002
Recliner 002  
I have a Craftsman leather recliner and the back is loose.  It can be moved forward and back a couple of inches without the recliner mechanism engaging.  Also, when neckline I feel a hard bar across by back.  Is this normal or is there something loose, broken, misadjusted?  I know the back comes off because they put it on when delivered but I can't see how to take it off to inspect anything.  I have inclosed pictures.

The brackets that hold the back to the seat may have loose, broken or even missing screws. In photo 001 the bracket and post look good as far as I can see. The looseness may be in the mechanism rather than the back mounting clips. Move the back and look for where the looseness is.

If you are feeling the frame in the back it means your padding has moved or collapsed from age.

If the mechanism is worn out and the padding is flat, it's time for a new recliner.

Furniture Repair and Assembly

Steve Nearman

Furniture care, preservation, conservation, repair, restoration, refinishing, gluing, gold leaf, upholstery, fire-water-smoke damage restoration, transit damage, antique restoration, brass polishing, piano refinishing, veneering, replacement parts, color matching, custom finishes, kitchen refinishing, furniture stripping, seat weaving (hand caning, rush, reed, danish cord), marble repair, antique trunk restoration, wicker restoration, upholstery and frame repairs, fine art restoration and more.

Over 45 years of professional furniture restoration services. Owner/proprietor of The Master's Touch Furniture Service in Fredericksburg, VA Web site: Founder and Director of the Professional Restorers International Web site:

Founder and director of Professional Restorers International, Member Professional Refinishers Guild

Furniture restoration has been my life's work.

My local clients include several historical sites like, Kenmore, Mary Ball Washington's House, Rising Sun Tavern, Gary Melcher's Belmont and many private collectors of early American furniture.