Furniture Repair and Assembly/dining room chair cushion problem

Our dining room chairs are solid wood with upholstered seats which are screwed to the chair. On one chair the screws have all fallen out, thus the cushion is separated from the chair. The chair cushion has a wooden backer board where the fabric is stapled onto. The holes for screws have gotten too large to hold the screws. I tried putting in wood filler but it just doesn't seem to be working. My husband had the idea of putting anchors in, but I am afraid those would poke thru the fabric on the top side, unless we can get very short anchors (1/4 to 3/8 inch). I guess my other thought was to replace the board. Do you have any other solutions? Thank you.

1. Remove the cushions from the chair frames.
2. Lay cushions flat with hole side up
3. Fill holes with tooth picks
4. Flood holes and tooth picks with crazy glue
5. Let dry overnight
6. Cut of tooth picks level with the board
7. Reattach cushions with appropriate length screws

Sometimes you will need to add more glue as it can be absorbed into the flake board.

If the holes are very large and the area around the hole is chipped out it may be best to replace the flake board bottom with the same shape and thickness using plywood instead.

Furniture Repair and Assembly

Steve Nearman

Furniture care, preservation, conservation, repair, restoration, refinishing, gluing, gold leaf, upholstery, fire-water-smoke damage restoration, transit damage, antique restoration, brass polishing, piano refinishing, veneering, replacement parts, color matching, custom finishes, kitchen refinishing, furniture stripping, seat weaving (hand caning, rush, reed, danish cord), marble repair, antique trunk restoration, wicker restoration, upholstery and frame repairs, fine art restoration and more.

Over 45 years of professional furniture restoration services. Owner/proprietor of The Master's Touch Furniture Service in Fredericksburg, VA Web site: Founder and Director of the Professional Restorers International Web site:

Founder and director of Professional Restorers International, Member Professional Refinishers Guild

Furniture restoration has been my life's work.

My local clients include several historical sites like, Kenmore, Mary Ball Washington's House, Rising Sun Tavern, Gary Melcher's Belmont and many private collectors of early American furniture.