Furniture Repair and Assembly/leather repair

Hi. I have a small rip to repair on a leather couch and I'm going to try to find a matching piece at a leather supply shop. I want to try to paste or glue the new piece over the old piece. Assuming that I can find the right match, can you suggest what kind of glue or adhesive to use? I want it to adhere strongly and I will not be sewing. Thanks. See pic, back cushion, right side.

hi  David
glueing on the top surface is not easy, glue will hold very well, partly because the edges will come up
if you have to glue, try several brands of glue from the store and test because different leathers have diferent finishes
and glue does not stick to the finish , the only one I found was very toxic

I think that your best solution would be buy a piece large enough to cover the whole back and and pin  or base stitch in various places to hold it down, most of that will not be seen and it will look much better

there are some viylns that look like leather that are thinner and cost less

good luck

Furniture Repair and Assembly

Michael Jimenez

We work on everything in relates to building, redesigning, remolding, reupholstering and repairing. We reupholster wood frames, walls, ceilings, doors, yachts, outdoor cushions and many more. We use different kinds of padding to re-pad and re-web. We are a green business and are constantly getting new products and lines of green sustainable materials for upholstered furniture. To see more information and pictures of our work, please go to our website. New Upholstered Furniture - new custom designed furniture Reupholstered Furniture - recover your old furniture Restyled Furniture - alter the look of your pieces Antique Restoration - restore your upholstered antiques Slipcovers - tailored or loose fit for chairs and sofas Dining Chair Seats - new fabric to freshen your room Chair Pads - add a little softness to a wooden seat Window Seat Cushions - new and recover for all shapes and sizes Cushions for outdoor furniture - fabulous fabrics for outdoor use Banquettes - unique built-in seating for any room Upholstered Headboards - new or recovered, any style, any size Upholstered Beds - custom styles for every home Upholstered Walls - padded and your fabric applied for a distinctive look. Toss Pillows - down blend inserts, special fabrics and trims Bed skirts - tailored or gathered, any fabric, any size We do not work with autos, metal frames and do not finish or refinish wood frames, but we do some office furniture

I started in high school around 1970, where I worked my way up from apprentice and upholster partners until 1983. I then opened Michael's Upholstery in San Rafael, CA which is now Michael's Custom Built Inc. About 20 years ago, we became a sustainable green business and are proud to say that we still are.

Rotary International, AFIA

Examples of Michaelís work has been shown in the Marin, Napa and San Francisco Designer Showcase Homes. We have also done work shown in Sunset and Northern California Homes and Garden, as well as California Home and Design. Some of our work has also been featured in magazines such as Traditional Home, and Better Homes and Garden Magazines.

junior college, sustainable enterprise santa rosa, green business SDBC college

Silver award AFIA 2009 new furniture new design Pacific sun BEST IN MARIN 2 or 3 years Bay area green business marin certification

We built a sofa that was shown on Monster House, a Discovery channel television show. We have done work for many movie stars and a few major group bands, sorry no names There has been work shipped to Tahoe, Montana, New York, Hawaii and Japan. We have had plenty of work shown in art decorative societies and their showcases.