Gambling/jacks or better trips ONLY to win

We play 5 card draw jacks or better trips ONLY to win.  We had a gentlemen who had a full house and called his hand as trips only and I told him he had a full house and should not win the hand, he said he had trips so he should win. He claims he had a pair of jacks and then was dealt 3 kings so he should win.  I claimed he had to play all 5 cards so therefore he had a full house - we ended up letting him take the pot, but I believe I was correct and want to confirm it.

I've never heard of trips only, but if that is your rule then I guess he didn't win. This is always a problem with playing games that don't have standardized rules and there will always be arguments. If you learn the rules of standardized games that are played in casinos like Holdem, Stud, and Omaha, these problems won't come up. Other than that it's hard for me to make a ruling on your game since you created it and you decide the rules, but in most poker gmae syou have to play five cards, so I would lean your way.  

I am a professional poker player and game theory expert. I can answer almost any question related to poker, from your local home game to winning big tournaments or playing at a casino. I am the head cash game instructor at, and I run a site for poker coaches at, give lessons (I'm usually booked at least two weeks ahead of time) and I know a little about the online poker affiliate business as well.

I've been playing poker for a living for 4 years, and have written about the subject extensively. I have sold articles to places like and Deal magazine, and I write a monthly column called The Online Fox in Poker Pro Magazine and Poker Pro Europe. I run a poker magazine at and a rakeback site at

Organizations - -

Poker Pro Magazine,,, Blind Straddle online poker magazine

I've read the books, talked to the old timers, and done my time at the tables. That's all the education a poker player gets. I own over 100 poker books and have read them all at least once.

"Best Article" award on for 2005 for my bankroll management article. All my other "awards" have been in cash, and I've already spent them. Poker isn't about trophies, it's about money. Many major tournament wins online.

Too many to list. I run I also work for as a consultant and no-limit Hold Em expert.