Hello and thank you for your time in reviewing my question.
I am a writer trying to get a better understanding of casino table game odds for a project I am working on. I have done some research but just want to assure my understanding in calculating is accurate. Could you please take a look at the scenarios below and inform me if I am correct?

If the odds are 1:1 and the bet is $10.00 a win would pay $10.00 plus the original bet for a total of $20.00

2:1 on a win would grant the player $20.00 plus their original $10.00 for a total of $30.00

I also read about ratios of 1:2. Again the $10.00 bet on a win would grant the player $5.00 plus their original $10.00 for a total of $15.00

The one that confuses me is the 2 for 1 scenarios.
If the player again bets $10.00 and wins on a 2 for 1 what would they be paid and walk away with in total?

I appreciate your time. I realize the bet amounts and rations may be lower than actual casino games but I just wanted to keep it simple to get a good grasp.

Thank you

Let's start with the 1:1 odds. Technically, you're correct. The player would have $20 at the end, but you have to remember that $10 of that is his original wager. So, when you want to know the payout of a $10 bet that's paid 1:1, it's $10.

Now we'll talk about the "X for Y" situations. A "2 for 1" is the same as a 1:1 wager. In effect, the casino would take your $10 and pay you $20 - 2 for 1. It's a sneaky way to imply a higher payout, and you'll usually see it on higher odds like in Craps and Roulette. In Roulette, a straight-up $1 wager (which is a bet that is placed on one number and paid if that number is rolled) pays 35:1. For every $1 you wager, you're paid $35 (and you keep the $1). Some casinos will say the payout is "36 for 1" but the payout is the same.

In the end, it's just semantics.

Andrew Senger

Anything casino related, including questions on Table Games, Slots, Security, and Surveillance.

I have been in the casino industry for over twelve years. I began as a Security Officer/EMT, then was promoted to Security Supervisor & EMT Supervisor. From there, I transferred to Surveillance, where I have been for almost ten years.

On-the-job training in Surveillance, including rigorous training and testing in all aspects of the casino.