Gaming/Exile 3

QUESTION: There is this older game called Exile 3 that was made before Vista that I really want to play again. I have Win7 and when I try to open the download file an error comes up. This is a common problem since it wasn't made for Win7. Is there a way I can play it?

ANSWER: This is a specific download created for use with Windows 7:

This is a port that is designed to work with Windows 7.  Please use the download option and try to run the game and respond to me if there are any specific warning messages or errors and I will try to help.

QUESTION: The exe that I downloaded from your link was just the regular download, unless there is another download link I didn't see.

This is the exact error message I have:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I looked online and it said Exile 3 is meant to run on 32-bit, and I have 64-bit.
So I need to somehow run it in compatibility with 32-bit Win7.

Unfortunately this is a problem I get with some of my old favourite games too.  It simply means that the architecture is incompatible with the architecture of your system.  The installer is most like a 16 bit installer which 100% cannot run on a 64 bit Windows system.  Many 32 bit games do not work and require updates from the general public or the publishers to be compatible with modern systems.  This is a bit like why some old games are available on platforms like Steam for example.

The best option is to partition off a section of your hard drive, or use a second hard drive, to install an older version of Windows, preferably a 32 bit version of Windows and the game should run.

The only other option you have is to find emulation software that can run your system as an older system, like Windows 98 or XP and then run the game while virtually running this operating system.  I can't personally find you this software but it is your last option for running this game on your 64 bit Windows.

Steven Gibb

I have an active interest in PC and console gaming. I can answer questions on PC performance, upgrades, requirements and any problems you may be having with your system in relation to gaming. I can also aid in repair topics covering the original Xbox, Xbox 360, PS, PS2 and PS3 consoles. I will be able to answer questions relating to games over the last couple of decades and questions regarding games currently in development. I can help with software/hardware modding. If you have any questions regarding cheats, news, characters, stories, tips, strategies and anything else game related then please feel free to ask. It would be worthwhile if any questions regarding Nintendo consoles post 2000 were given to another expert. Please do not use this page to ask quiz questions to "test" my knowledge. Genuine questions please.

I have been playing games since I was 6 years old. I have an education in electronics and actively build and customise PC's and consoles. I have had a keen interest in gaming and technology since I was very young and have chosen a career path in these fields.

European Advanced Computer Driving License Bsc Electronics (Product Design/Comp Architecture) BEng Digital Systems Engineering