Gaming/GPU upgrade to HP P6404Y

Hi Steven!  I'm also an All Expert's volunteer in the area of insurance, and would like some advice on updating the GPU and power supply.  Here's the link to the information on my HP, which I bought in July 2010:

The GeForce 9100 has crappy hardware acceleration- even solitaire hangs up after a while, and watching TV from my PC to my second monitor (sony flatscreen) provides very hitchy jerky watching, which I don't get when watching from my roku.  DSL service is 7 meg, so I think I need to upgrade the video card.  And on a low budget, but it may be worth updating the power supply to, if I'm going to mess with it.  Main thing is I want to do it to get components that will fit with my system.  I'm fairly savvy, and have watched the how to replace your card on you tube, and can find one on replacing the power supply too.  
Appreciate your input.

Hi Denise

Thanks for the question.

The 9100 certainly isn't very good, for anything!  Your motherboard supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards which means it can support modern cards.  Of course you are also right in realising that your 300 W power supply will hold you back in this department.  

I can recommend quite a few cards and power supplies but will start with one of each.  If the price doesn't suit then please let me know and we can discuss it further.  I have recommended these as the prices are not outrageous and they are still very good even in 2013.  It doesn't sound like you need any real gaming hardware so I think these pieces of hardware will fit your system.  - Coolermaster GX 550W PSU - Gigabyte GTX 650 1GB

Now these are typical prices.  I don't know your location but the prices will translate to your currency too.  If they are too expensive then let me know and I can also recommend cheaper alternatives that should still improve your performance dramatically.  I recommend these as I have built several systems that use this hardware and they perform very well.

As for how to replace the PSU:

A good video.  Do not be worried about installing a power supply.  Remember where to connect and you will be fine.  It's good to know that most of the connectors can only go in certain locations so it's hard to connect it in the wrong way.  Follow the video.  Youtube has plenty of good instructional video.

Please post a follow up if you require more information or details

Steven Gibb

I have an active interest in PC and console gaming. I can answer questions on PC performance, upgrades, requirements and any problems you may be having with your system in relation to gaming. I can also aid in repair topics covering the original Xbox, Xbox 360, PS, PS2 and PS3 consoles. I will be able to answer questions relating to games over the last couple of decades and questions regarding games currently in development. I can help with software/hardware modding. If you have any questions regarding cheats, news, characters, stories, tips, strategies and anything else game related then please feel free to ask. It would be worthwhile if any questions regarding Nintendo consoles post 2000 were given to another expert. Please do not use this page to ask quiz questions to "test" my knowledge. Genuine questions please.

I have been playing games since I was 6 years old. I have an education in electronics and actively build and customise PC's and consoles. I have had a keen interest in gaming and technology since I was very young and have chosen a career path in these fields.

European Advanced Computer Driving License Bsc Electronics (Product Design/Comp Architecture) BEng Digital Systems Engineering