Gaming/Desktop for Maya and Gaming

Hello.  I will soon be taking courses in 3D modeling and animation in pursuit of a career in game design and development.  Clearly, I'll need a good computer, hehe.  My local shop wanted to way overcharge me for what they wanted to build me, so they were out.  I looked around online and found cyberpowerpc, and "built" a great gaming desktop (I think), along with two 24" monitors for around $3,000.  I will be doing heavy gaming on this as well.

Alright aside from the graphics card (already been through lengthy discussions about the GTX card's compatibility with Maya), could you tell me if my build is overpriced, and what could be changed?

This is my build from cyberpowerpc.  Keep in mind this is just copied and pasted from their list that they send when you save a build, so it still includes options where I didn't select anything.  I apologize for that.  Here it is:

*BASE_PRICE: [+1240]
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CAS: * Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ dual 200mm fans, integrated fan controller, front USB 3.0 Port & Side-Panel Window [+41]
CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive [+32] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified) [+336]
CS_FAN: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H90 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 140MM Radiator & Fan [+46]
FREEBIE_MB: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo w/ Dual Antenna PCI-E Adapter [+0]
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Batman Arkham Origins Game Coupon [+0]
HDD: 128GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write [-14] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+135] (Single Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P 1080P (23.6" Viewable) 2ms LED Backlight, DVI, HDMI Input [+179]
MONITOR2: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P 1080P (23.6" Viewable) 2ms LED Backlight, DVI, HDMI Input [+179]
MOTHERBOARD: * (4-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 5, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI [+13]
MOUSE1: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+4]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 1,200 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro 80 Plus Gold Power Supply ( 80 Plus Gold) [+117]
SPEAKERS: Logitech S120 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [+19] (Black Color)
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: PPA External 4-Port USB 2.0 Silver Star Hub [+12]
USBX: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+615] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+3082)

It was $2,984, but I upgraded the case.  I would like to know anything that's wrong with the price, the PSU, the motherboard, the cooling, anything, and why, please.

Also, any advice about whether or not to use cyberpowerpc would be appreciated as well.  The reviews seem a tad hit and miss, but I'm not building it myself or taking it to a local shop, and cyberpower seems the most cost-effective (already compared on Newegg as well).

Asking questions through an email-like means such as this has proven to be incredibly time-consuming, and I would very much like to order my equipment soon.  If you could answer in a timely manner, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Hi there.  Thanks for the question.

First off I would like to say that I am based in the UK and have absolutely no idea of the quality of builds that cyberpower offer.  It would be wrong of me to recommend them or another US based custom PC company since I have never had the need to use them.  For this segment of your question, I will simply say you should read reviews online (review sites for the company) to make your decision.  What I can say is that their prices for the components seem to follow the standard market prices for these companies.  It will obviously be cheaper if you were buying the components yourself and building it but if this isn't an option then you don't need to worry about them ripping you off with their prices.

Now your PC certainly shows why it is priced at $3000.  You will be able to do everything you want on this PC but I will see if I can save you a little money by making some minor suggestions.  If you are happy with the current build then I will say you can go for it, here are my suggestions anyway.

16GB of RAM - 1600MHz, 4 sticks of 4GB RAM.  I can call this overkill.  RAM is cheap enough but it is often a misunderstood piece of hardware.  RAM does not automatically make a computer faster and I can honestly say that even with heavy animation editing and modeling software, your RAM usage will almost certainly never go close to 8GB.  16GB of RAM (and up) is needed for heavy heavy processing (I use 32GB to run virtual machines and do heavy image processing).  A standard home computer will never need that amount.  For you to need 16GB of RAM, you would need to be running a game at high settings, while editing 3D models, running CAD and running a virtual machine server.  You could limit yourself to 8GB of RAM, high quality RAM, while still saving some money.

3TB HDD - Now obviously with your SSD you will be installing Windows on that for better performance.  I am guessing your 3TB HDD will be just for the storage of games, applications, video, images etc etc.  This one is down to personal preference but I have never felt the need to have such massive storage.  Your HDD will operate best when it's not at capacity and if you are filling a 2TB one then you have too much on it.  I would recommend stepping down to 2TB and just managing your file space more efficiently.  This includes uninstalling old applications, degrag every month, put essential files on the SSD and utilise online storage space for non essential files.  

1200W PSU - Even with the high performance hardware you have, you simply do not need a 1200W power supply.  High end NVIDIA GFX cards can run around 300W per card.  With no overclocking, you will easily manage to have all this hardware functioning with a 900W card.  Downgrade your card to save some money.  Need to remember that with high efficiency, you can have the GFX card operating at low levels when dedicated applications are not running, you will never be gaming and doing video rendering at the same time anyway.  A 900W PSU will do the job.

Everything else such as i7 processor, GFX card and your two monitors etc are just personal preference.  The prices seem fine and I think your system would last for quite a while without the need to upgrade. You just need to think of the requirement of having the best of the best.  1200W for example is overkill, as is 16GB of RAM.  Of course a lot of people may think that it saves the need to upgrade later on but that's not true, by the time you want to upgrade your RAM you would be replacing your 16GB DDR3 RAM with DDR4 RAM which is on it's way.  Play it safe and don't overpay.  Your system would still function the way you require with the changes I have recommended.

Please get back in touch if you have any other questions regarding this and I hope I have helped in some way.

Steven Gibb

I have an active interest in PC and console gaming. I can answer questions on PC performance, upgrades, requirements and any problems you may be having with your system in relation to gaming. I can also aid in repair topics covering the original Xbox, Xbox 360, PS, PS2 and PS3 consoles. I will be able to answer questions relating to games over the last couple of decades and questions regarding games currently in development. I can help with software/hardware modding. If you have any questions regarding cheats, news, characters, stories, tips, strategies and anything else game related then please feel free to ask. It would be worthwhile if any questions regarding Nintendo consoles post 2000 were given to another expert. Please do not use this page to ask quiz questions to "test" my knowledge. Genuine questions please.

I have been playing games since I was 6 years old. I have an education in electronics and actively build and customise PC's and consoles. I have had a keen interest in gaming and technology since I was very young and have chosen a career path in these fields.

European Advanced Computer Driving License Bsc Electronics (Product Design/Comp Architecture) BEng Digital Systems Engineering