Gaming/Display driver stopped responding and successfully recovered.

Hi, i'm facing a serious gaming problem with my new GPU Geforce GTX 550 ti 1 GB DDR5. My rig is:
Processor: Intel i5 4430 @3.0 Ghz
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G
RAM: EVM 4 GB DDR3 1333
PSU: iBall 18amp +12v 500W.
As soon as i start any game like Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 etc, my screen go black and the game crashes to desktop popping up with a notification ''Display driver stopped responding and successfully recovered''. Even when i have the latest drivers installed to my GPU, still this problem occurs. But if i watch a HD movie or browse internet i don't face such kind of problem, can you help me find out what could be the real reason for it otherwise all my money i spent in that GPU would be wasted.

The first thing that stands out to me is the no-name power supply with an extremely weak 12V rail; what's likely happening is the graphics card is drawing far more power than the PSU can provide, and the system is becoming unstable. The error you're receiving is one such possibility of that kind of problem (other potential reactions can include the entire machine shutting down, restarting itself, the power supply quite literally exploding, etc).

My advice would be to replace the power supply with an appropriately specified unit for the kind of load your machine presents, from a quality manufacturer such as Corsair or Enermax.

The second thing that comes to mind is that you mention the GTX 550 Ti being "new" - that model has been discontinued for some time, so I'm assuming you mean "new to you" and that the card was purchased used. If that's the case, have you confirmed the card to be in proper working order? Or, if that's not possible, does another card work properly in your machine? (This does not preclude the power supply being of sub-par quality; that is still an issue) This could also be causing issues with lock-ups and crashes, however it would be more likely to happen with a wider variety of tasks than just gaming.

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner. I have a personal interest in PC gaming, and can apply my experience to such an end. Questions related to 3D games on OS X or other platforms are less likely to get answered.

Nearly two decades of experience in and around IT.

15+ years of experience and education.