Gaming/Original Company of Heroes

I used to have a friend that had the original company of heroes and it's first expansion, opposing fronts. I really enjoyed the game and recently I have started getting back into PC gaming even though it's all old games such as Age of Empires, but I'm not very familiar with how company of heroes works as from what I understand you need to have an account to play even off-line on Opposing Fronts and the following Tales of Valor, and that you need Steam to play online as the original servers no longer exist.  I'd like to buy all three, and I'd like to spend the least amount of money obviously,  so i've been looking at ebay and amazon for deals on both new and used games, but i'm not sure if buying a used game is a good idea since I think  it has to be activated on a maximum of three computers  and possibly has to retain its original account, I really am not entirely sure however. My other  problem is that since online gaming now requires Steam will I  have to purchase the game from Steam or can I purchase a retail version and then later use it on Steam?

Used games that need Steam activation are generally not a good idea to purchase, as they usually cannot be activated (and thus, cannot be used). Retail purchase of Steam games is usually not a problem though - you will have CD/DVD media to install the title, and it will activate via Steam. This is very useful if you don't have an extremely fast Internet connection, or if your Internet connection isn't always-on, or if you are billed by transfer bandwidth for your Internet connection (essentially it eliminates having to download the entire game, as it can install from local media - updates will still come via the Steam service). The retail copy should include a "Steam CD Key" in the package (and should notate this on the outer packaging).

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner. I have a personal interest in PC gaming, and can apply my experience to such an end. Questions related to 3D games on OS X or other platforms are less likely to get answered.

Nearly two decades of experience in and around IT.

15+ years of experience and education.