Gaming/Can this pc handle dayz?

First id like to point out that I'm very new to pc gaming so I'm not even
sure if this question will make any sense.
I'm planning on buying this pc:
CPU Solutions Intel 4790K Core i7 4.0Ghz Quad Core Gaming PC. 8GB RAM 1600MHz, 250GB SSD & 1000GB HDD, Windows 7, GTX970 w/4GB, Mid -Tower Case w/850W Power Supply.
I was wondering if it could run dayz, and on what settings.

That's a very powerful machine, and should have no trouble with any modern game, as well as many unreleased or upcoming titles. However, I would not base the purchase decision entirely on that factor - consider the manufacturer and their support and warranty policies as well, in addition to their build quality. Who is putting this machine together? What kind of power supply (as in who makes it) does it come with? Which version of Windows 7 are you getting? How much does this machine cost and how much are you looking to spend?

Those are the kinds of questions that should be first and foremost in looking at any sort of new PC purchase. If you're very inexperienced with how PCs go together, how to work on them, and so forth, I would highly suggest going with an established and reputable manufacturer like Alienware. Their support and build quality will be top-notch, and the overall experience will be much better than a no-name discount system.

As far as "run on what settings" - that's a somewhat impossible question. You will be limited both by the performance of the machine, as well as what the game supports, and the limits of your peripherals (e.g. monitor, speaker configuration, etc). Generally speaking a high-end machine, like the one you've listed out, shouldn't have a problem achieving playable frame-rates in many games at reasonably high settings, but you will have to be the final judge as to what looks best to you in terms of settings<->gameplay.

If you have any further questions, or need clarification, feel free to ask.

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner. I have a personal interest in PC gaming, and can apply my experience to such an end. Questions related to 3D games on OS X or other platforms are less likely to get answered.

Nearly two decades of experience in and around IT.

15+ years of experience and education.