Gaming/Slow Chess Software

There is a chess software I like very much named Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition.  It was released in 2007 and has been discontinued.  There is no tech support.  It works great except for one thing: when playing against the program’s fairly-easy-to-beat opponents, the opponents move their pieces soon after I move mine.  When playing against the more advanced opponents, the system slows down: I will move a piece, then my opponent will take 5 to 10 minutes to move a piece.  At higher levels of play, the opponent doesn’t move a piece at all.  Some reviewers at mention the same problem.  

I am willing to buy a new computer just for this software, but I need one that overcomes the slowness.  Below is the list of system requirements that came with the software. Maybe I need something far more powerful than what is recommended, but I don’t know what I should be looking for.  Your help is appreciated.  Thanks. Jim

System Requirements

Supported OS: Windows Vista®/Windows® XP (only)
RAM: 256 MB (512 MB recommended)
Video Card: 32 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card (128 MB recommended)
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant sound card optional
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c or up
CD-ROM: 16x CD-ROM or faster
Hard Drive Space: 600 MB (2.3 GB recommended)
Multiplay: 56 Kbps or faster for Internet or LAN play (broadband recommended)
Peripherals Supported: Mouse, keyboards, headsets, ultra 3D glasses (not included)

Supported Video Cards at time of release: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3/4/FX/6/7/8 series (GeForce4 MX NOT supported), ATI® Radeon® 7500/8000/9000/X series.  Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

ANSWER: I don't see a CPU mentioned in those system requirements. Additionally, does your computer meet or exceed these specs? What operating system are you using?

It may simply be an incompatibility between the application and your version of Windows or some other hardware element in your system, which likely cannot be resolved easily (that is, because the game is no longer supported no patches are likely to exist). Depending on the capabilities and configuration of your system, there may also be compatibility settings or layers that could be employed to help fix this, but without more information it is hard for me to speculate on that. The game itself doesn't look like it has exceptional system requirements, so a modern computer should certainly be sufficient to run the application, barring compatibility problems.

QUESTION: Hi Bob, Thank you for the reply.  The system requirements I listed came from the website for the product.  After reading your reply, I found the manual that came with the chess software and it gave a different requirement: the manual recommends hard drive space of “1.2 GB  (2.3 GB recommended).”  Also it says “Processor: 1 GHz  Pentium III or AMD K6 III (2 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon recommended).”

I have the software installed on two computers, both of which have the identical slowness problem.  Though one of my computer is Windows 7, some Amazon reviewers claim the software runs better on Windows 7 than on Vista.

eMachines T5082 Desktop Computer
Windows Vista Home Basic, Service Pack 2.
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz  3.00GHz.
Memory (RAM): 512 MB.
System Type: 32-Bit Operating System
(The C drive shows 50.3 GB of free space.)

Hewlett-Packard 2000 Notebook PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU B800 @ 1.50GHz  1.50GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.85 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System
(The C drive shows 193 GB of free space.)

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Jim

Neither machine should be exhibiting problems based on the CPU requirements listed - either of those CPUs is a significant improvement over a Pentium III. That said, the game likely has some problems being run on newer versions of Windows than XP. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows 2000/XP, and/or running it with elevated administrator privileges?

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner. I have a personal interest in PC gaming, and can apply my experience to such an end. Questions related to 3D games on OS X or other platforms are less likely to get answered.

Nearly two decades of experience in and around IT.

15+ years of experience and education.