Hi there,

I have a single gtx 970, that can pull off most games at around 60fps or more at 1080p.

I was wondering at what monitor I should get. I played a lot of CS:GO before I got the 970, but now I switched to playing games like Fallout 4, GTA V, Witcher 3, although I still like to play CS. I have an Asus 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P LCD Monitor ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1)  now, and that 60hz@1080p and more importantly the colours are pretty bad, especially for a more high-end card like the 970.

I am looking for a monitor with better than OK colours, don't have to be great, good refresh rate, and maybe higher hertz and g-sync. Something a game like the witcher would look great on :>

One monitor I found which looks good on paper is:

My budget is around 450 Euro (490 dollars)
Also, one more important point, I live in Ireland, so the availability of delivery to Ireland is a must.

Any suggestions? An answer will be highly appreciated :)

(A TV could also be an option)

I won't be able to help with specific shopping in Ireland, however have no problems discussing the monitor itself with you. First off, I generally do not suggest Acer Group products as their post-sales service and support can be sorely lacking, and there are generally comparable (or better) offerings from other manufacturers with sterling reputations. For a higher refresh rate monitor, I would suggest BenQ and Asus - BenQ has generally been the front of the pack as far as response times and refresh rate, but Asus has remained very competitive in recent years and is often cheaper. Keep in mind, however, that high refresh rate displays generally will not be the final word in color accuracy - a realistic (by this I mean, actually measured by external sources; you can safely ignore/discard all color, contrast, and response time specifications from every manufacturer as they are, at best, inflated, and at worst, flat out fabrications) 1000:1 contrast ratio is expect able from a better display, but if you need pre-press color quality you will need to look elsewhere (I would suggest Dell's UltraSharp line). As far as setting the colors up properly, I would either look for a pre-built and calibrated ICD for your monitor of choice, or purchase your own calibration hardware (e.g. Pantone Huey) to properly set the colors.

Finally keep in mind if you're considering higher refresh rates: many games are not properly designed/implemented to handle frame-rates above 60 FPS, and may behave erratically, unstably, etc when run at higher frame rates (most all of Bethesda Softworks' games fit into this, for example - many animations and physics effects will either cease to work entirely or will behave in unpredictable/unexpected ways, in either case usually resulting in the game crashing). Games like Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament (e.g. those that are designed with esport tournament play in mind) generally have no issues with high refresh rates though, so that shouldn't be a problem. I am unfamiliar with The Witcher series so I cannot comment on how it will behave with higher refresh rates, but it is still worth thinking about - even with hardware capable of 144Hz gaming, you may find yourself locking-in to 60Hz for many games. That said, a quality 144Hz monitor will have better response time than a typical 60Hz monitor, so even running at 60Hz, will be "faster" on redraw.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner. I have a personal interest in PC gaming, and can apply my experience to such an end. Questions related to 3D games on OS X or other platforms are less likely to get answered.

Nearly two decades of experience in and around IT.

15+ years of experience and education.