Garage Doors/Garage door jerks when opening and closing

Question
Mike, Thanks for taking the time to read my question/problem. I have a chamberlain liftmaster 3/4 hp. It's not a very old unit, probably 8 years old. We bought the house not too long ago and I have noticed that when I open and close the garage door, it jerks pretty violently. I have had to replace the drive gear in the motor because just the other day it had broken. I have two questions...could the jerking while opening and closing the door cause the gear to break? Also, how can I adjust/fix the door from not jerking. I have found myself envying my friends garages because they open with such ease..lol. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Chad,

The important thing here is, a garage door opener only does what you do, if the door does not work smoothly and balance properly, no garage door opener is ever going to hold up. By balance I mean the door should go up with little effort, stay put at the 1/2 way point and gently pull itself to a full open position. Springs and related hardware should be replacede on a regular basis of @ 10 years. If you have steel track rollers replace them with vinyl rollers. Garage doors are very dangerous to work on and if you are not comfortable to do the above, go to the IDEA site,
(www.dooreducation.com) and look for a credentialled door company in your area and have them come out and assess the situation. There should be a minimum charge for this service. To further answer your question, if you have a double wide, heavy wood door, 8 - 10 years is @ average for the gear kit. I would have thought the tech who replaced the gear kit , and I hope he used the part # 41A4220 kit and replaced all parts, would have made any necessary adjustments and lubrication to the system. Hope this helps,

Yours in doors, \\

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre