Garage Doors/The liftmaster 1245R garage door cannot open fully

Hello! My house Liftmaster Professional, Model 1245R garage door cannot open fully. Before the problem occurred, we had frequently opened and stopped the garage door opening a little bit above the floor because a cat can go outside. Now the door cannot open fully. It goes to about 1.5 feet above the floor and then stopped. I can close the door, however. Can you tell me what problems could be and how to check them? Thank you for your answer.

Hi Ray,

As always, disconnect the door and attempt to raise the door by hand. It should lift with a minimal amount of effort. If door is awkward or heavy, the springs probably need replaced and this should be done by an IDEA( professional door company. If the door works ok by hand, disconnect the door and actuate the door and see if the chain moves properly. If so The sensing devices on the motor need to be set, if not the gear kit is probably bad and needs to be replaced. However, the 1245 was a very lite duty motor, and in my opinion is not worthy of repair and should be replaced. Hope this helps,

YOurs in doors,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken