Garage Doors/genie 450

im trying to get a keyless entry pad for my parents and their opener is super old....its a genie 450 will any work for this or should i try a universal

Hi Kim,

When I started with my dad in 1975, we were installing the 450's and they were top of the line for the era. It is now an antique and should be replaced. The only way to put a keyless on that opener is to spend @ $150 to instal a model 412 LM reciever and a keyless to work with it and you will have to pay someone who understands how to do this. But, because the opener is pre-'93, most door company's wont touch openers that old.  Go online to and find an IDEA accredited dealer in your parents area and give them a new 8550 battery backed up garage door opener. Installed cost should only be @ $550.  

Have a safe and blessed holiday,

Yours in doors,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken