Garage Doors/manual garage door installation problem

Hello Mr. Whiacre.  Greetings from Mexico!  Where I have just installed a Clopay (Home Depot) garage door with a Wayne Dalton low headroom clearance kit.  The instructions were....YIKES!  But, it's in, and low head gadget works.  BUT, the top panel of the door won't stand up vertically when its closed, stayes at an inward angle at top, so there's a big gap.  There are virtually no professional "American-style" garage door installers here, had to wing it, and we have to make do.  As its installed right now, the top door panel JUST clears the ceiling.  Any suggestions how I can get the top panel vertical when closed without affecting the clearance? "The guys" here say it will have to be CUT!!

Hi Jan,

Its snowing here in Maryland. Just thought that might make you feel better. You did not mention the height of the door or the clearance from the top of the door to the ceiling, but I got the jist of it. Clopay makes two section heights , 18" and  21". If you have a 21" section replace it with an 18" section, if not you will have to cut the top section and purchase an expander for your thickness of door. Then if the door doesn't close to the opening top, then the opening will have to be built down to accomodate it.

Have a safe holiday

Yours in doors,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken