Garage Doors/Light beam replacement.

Question
Hi Mike-

My mother-in-law has a Sears Mod. 139.53660srt garage door opener. The door (when hooked up) is about halfway up and when the button is pushed it goes down a foot or two the jerks back up and the light flashes. My brother-n-law tried fixing it and that is why I think it is stuck halfway and is out of time. I noticed that one of the light beams has no light on, and no matter how much I adjust it the light will not come on. I have power to the eye as I undid the wires and tested them. Thinking that the one eye might have failed, went to Sears and they have one that fits within the year range(MFG 1987)but has the wrong color button. Do these eyes need to be that specific or can I buy a different set and make it work? The gut at sear wasn't much help in finding the part number for the correct set so I thought I could go try a different brand if any light beam set would work.

Answer
Hi Jim,

If you are sure of the MFG date being in '87, those where not "monitored" cells and were disconntinued along with all other parts prior to 1993. The answer is a new motor and my suggestion is to go to an accredited door dealer (www.dooreducation.com) and have a new Liftmaster opener installed. Preferably the model 3280 belt drive. Great opener.  Hope this helps,

Yours in doors,

Mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre