Garage Doors/replacement garage door

Hello Mike!  I had asked you a question recently about replacing a garage door panel with a window panel.  You suggested we have our 20 year old door evaluated, as we might need to replace the entire door.  Well we did that.  Decided to replace the entire door and opted for one with windows.  It was just installed today.  I did not get to see it until it was installed and I now notice that the panels are not evenly spaced across the door expanse.  There is an extra 6 inches on each side of the door.  In other words, the 8 panels across are not even divided to properly fill in the 18 foot expanse.  It looks okay....but I have never seen a door like this before.  Is this a mistake or are doors being designed like this now?  The installer is coming back next week and I wanted to know if I should ask him about it. Thanks for your help.  Gloria

Hi Gloria,

Congratulations on your purchase. Most all manufacturers have all gone to the same configuration theory. All of the panels and all of the spacing between the panels is equadistant. The stamping machines used by the manufacturers create one size panel for all. There is going to be differences between an 8foot , 9 foot , 16 foot etc. in the relationship between leftover space and distance when the panels are imposed into the steel, thus the left over space goes at the ends of the doors. Simply, yes it's normal. Be sure to lube the door yearly with WD-40(no matter what anybody else tells you. And have the tech that returns disconnect the door for you and see to it the door balance's properly. Balance means, no more than 10#s off the floor, the door should stop 1/2 way up and should pull itself all the way to a full open position without being hard to pull down. Also have him perform a 2x4 safety teston the opener. You've made a great investment in your home and with a little effort will easily last you 20 to 30 years.

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken