Garage Doors/Spring Tension

Question
Hi Mike,

I just replaced my broken garage door opener gear. When I looked the 2 springs. One is straight. But the other has little dip in the middle. I wonder if that one losses its tension. The opener is working well now. Both open and close forces are set around 4. The door is 2 cars size and the opener is 1/2 horse power.

Thanks,
Yan

Answer
HI Yan,

YOu didn't say the opener brand but I assume it is either Sears, Liftmaster, Chamberlain, with a white helicle gear meeting a worm gear on the motor shaft. The total gear assembly, (part# 41a4220 ) should be replace, including the worm gear and bushings or you will be doing it again in about 2 years. Most gear systems last about 10 years when all works well. As far as your springs, you didn't mention the type of spring. There is torsion type which mounts over the top of the door, and stretch type spings, which extend from the back end of the track to the front wall. Any type of spring is extremly dangerous and should only be repaired /replaced by an IDEA (www.dooreducation.com) accredited door company. Either way the opener only does what you do. If its heavy to you, or falls down from the open position means the spings are probably bad. If the springs have not been replace in the last 7 - 10 years, they should be rather than waiting for them to break. Hope this helps,

YOurs in doors,

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre