Garage Doors/Garage door opener remotes

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mike,

Hope you can help us. Our remotes in our cars stopped opening our garage door. We replaced the batteries, garage door still won't open. Garage door opens fine when we push the button inside the garage. We are puzzled.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give us.

Sandi

ANSWER: HI Sandi, \

With out knowing the age of the opener or brand, it could be one of several things. If you have a lock out switch or button on your inside control than the remotes could be turned off. If the remotes are "learned" into the opener, than the opener could have unlearned the controls and will need to be recoded. Or the logic/receiver in the opener could have died and in need of being replaced. If you can give me age of opener, manufacturer, and model, I could be more to the point. Hope this helps,

YOurs in doors,

mike

QUESTION: Hi Mike,
You have helped a great deal! I found our owner's manual. The date on the last page of the manual is 1997. It's a Sears Craftsman Model No. 139.53672SRT.

Thanks again!
Sandi

ANSWER: Hi Sandi, \\

Glad to have helped. However, a suggestion, if the door has not been professionally serviced since '97 I would suggest you contact an IDEA (www.dooreducation.com) accredited door dealer in your area and have it serviced.

mike

QUESTION: What does that cost? I have never heard of a garage door opener being 'serviced'.
Why aren't the remotes working?

Answer
Hi Sandi,

A garage door is a mechanical device like a heat pump or automobile and certain parts wear and fail. Springs breaking can leave the door inoperable when they break and should be replaced every 7 - 10 years. You should go to (www.dooreducation.com) and look at the door maintenance area.

Back to the remotes, did you check the lock button on the wall pad to see if the controls are turned off. Are the batteries good, in the owners manual is how to code the remotes to the opener, follow the directions and recode the remotes to you opener.  

Yours in doors,

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre