Garage Doors/Installing decorative hardware

Question
This should be an easy one...

We are going to install decorative hardware (fake iron handles and hinges).

The installation seems straightforward (handles go on with pan-head bolts and nuts, hinges with pan-head machine screws).

The only question we're unsure of is if we should do anything different because it's an insulated garage door.

It *seems* to me that the only possible source of trouble would be if the insulation inside got wet, so we were going to apply a thin bead of caulk around the holes we drill (per the instructions) for the bolts/screws.

Any other thoughts or input on doing this?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi David,,

The operative word here is "decorative" and you are the boss, install it anywhere you think it looks good and doesn't impede the operation of the door. You really don't need to chalk @ the hardware unless you screw up and drill to big a hole or too many holes. After drilling the holes, clean the doors surface of all metal shavings, they will stick and rust on the surface of the door.  If thru-bolting the hardware, do not overtighten and crush the section. Good luck and send me a pic when you are done. Yours in doors,

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre