Garage Doors/New STB still will not close

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
 I have been living in my house for almost 4 years and the garage door has worked fine until recently. The door starts to go down, sometimes 3 inches, sometimes almost all the way and everything in between. Sometimes it goes back up sometimes it stops and stays put. It always opens with no problem. The springs and wheels were replaced two years ago and I just replaced the STB and wires. However, that did not solve the problem. The STB lights stay solid the whole time and they are 5 1/2 inches off the ground, where they have always been. Holding the button down until it closes all the way only works if I disconnect a wire from the STB. The door balance is not the best, could that be the problem? I am losing my mind trying to figure this problem out, can you help?

ANSWER: Hi Donald,

Who is the manufacturer of the opener and what is an STB?

mike

QUESTION: Geine and safety beam.

ANSWER: Hi Donald,

Thank you for the clarification. If you have read any of my post's, I find all Geni products to be substandard and the newest of the new is the worst. Now that that's off my chest, disconnect the motor and cycle the motor with only the trolly running back and forth so the door is out of the issue. Are your stb's lights on. One should be green and one should be red. If blocked the red light will blink. The number of blinks indidates certain issues. You will need to look in your owners manual for that info. If lights on the stb's are good move on to the next possibility.It sounds to me like there is a broken wire from the PB to the motor head. Disconnect the wires at the motor head and run the motor from the remotes. If it still won't close, after all that, I would have to say you have a logic board issue and you should contact Geni for a replacement. Hope this helps ,

YOurs in doors,

mike

QUESTION: The photo beams are new and the wires are also. I already disconnected the door and ran the motor same issue. I think it is the logic board. That is $100 so I think I will buy a craftsman, is that a good brand. What would you recommend?

Answer
Hi Donald,

Chamberlain is the parent company to Sears, Liftmaster, and various other units in various hardware stores. Like Cadillac is to General Motors, Liftmaster is to Chamberlain. I would recommend finding an IDEA (www.dooreducation.com) accredited door dealer in your area who handle Liftmaster products. I recommend a belt drive opener, either the model 8355 or if the idea of a battery backed up motor is your style the model 8550.  But pay the extra couple of dollars and let a pro install it. It does make a difference. Thanx for the question.

yours in doors,

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre