Garage Doors/Problems with new opener

Question
Mike-

My contractor installed a new Sears 1/2hp(Mod. 139.53930DM)in the garage he built for me about 2 months ago. The opener worked fine as we ran it up and down at least a dozen times setting up the up/down/safety limits, photo eyes, etc... This last week it would go down just a little and back up and the light would flash, like something was blocking the eyes. If you hold the wall button in it will go down. The indicator light on the back of the motor flashes 4 times which according to the manual means the photo eye is blocked, but it isn't. We tried it during the day and at night just to be sure the sun light wasn't causing problems. The receiving eye will be green but when we hold the button to close the door it goes out and stays out until we open the door and it turns back on. My contractor has moved the eyes and re-adjusted them but still will not close without holding the button down. He has run out of ideas except to take the whole thing down and return it to Sears, do you have something simpler to try?

Glen

Answer
Hi Glen,

Cut the wires to the cells leaving @ 2 foot of wire off the cells. Go to the wire recieving lugs and remove the black/white , white wires from the motor. Install the wires from the cells to the appropriate positions on the board and hold the cells to engage each other. Have someone press a remote control and see what happens. I would lay odds it will work fine. My guess is someone drove a staple through the wire to the cells. If all works fine with the cells wired in this fasion, get more stat wire and redo the wires to the opener. If not, you have a bad logic/reciever board and the motor should be returned to Sears. Note: In 40 years I have never had a bad opener out of the box. Hope this helps,

Yours in doors.

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre