Garage Doors/Stanley Model UT300 Garage door opener

Question
My garage door opener is acting up. It will open a couple of feet, then stop. When the remote, or the hose switch is activated again, it goes down 8 or 10 inches, then goes back up that same distance.
I cleaned the laser lens, checked the wires, and made sure the laser is aligned. I don't see anything else to check. Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Tom

Answer
HI Tom,

The first move is to disconnect the door opener from the door and try the door by hand. The door should raise easily and go to full open and hold itself open. If you cannot raise the door easily, you probably have a door spring issue and an IDEA accredited door dealer (www.dooreducation.com) should be brought into fix a spring issue.  If the door is ok, lower the door to the floor, activate the door opener and see if the travelor goes to full open and full down. If the opener travels properly than the physical sensitivity is in need of adjustment.  I am not sure of your particular Stanley model but there should be pressure sensing adjustments either on the bottom of the unit or in the back where the push button wires come in. You should be aware that Stanley is no longer in the garage door business and I recommend to my clients that Stanley openers be replaced. I recommend Liftmaster products for replacement. Hope this helps,

YOurs in doors,

mike

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre