Garage Doors/door & rail shudder & shake

Hello.  I have an Overhead Door OCG Series 710 Python opener (chain drive), and a heavy 4-piece wooden door guided by rollers in rails.  Just recently, the door would travel to about 2/3 closed, then the door and rail would start shuddering violently, as if the chain were slipping and couldn't proceed but still trying to close.  As a test, I disconnected the carriage assembly from the chain to check the travel of the chain and the door independently.  Interestingly, without the door attached, the chain travels from open to closed and back with no hesitation.  Also, the door travels from open to closed and back with no hesitation or obstruction.  But when I reconnect the two, everything shudders and shakes.  Do you have any recommendation?

Thank you for any help.

That opener is actually a Geni AC chain glide. I would suggest that the trim is too tight and when the opener is pushing the door at the 2/3rds down point. At that point, the opener is pushing the #3 section out and jambing against the trim. Also, be sure to check the physical safty device for reversal as stated in your owners manual. If you don't have a manual you can find it on line.

YOurs in doors,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken