Garage Doors/Door goes to far and bows rail

Question
I have a craftsman model 139.53973SRT that has been working fine but just started to not go up and now it bows the rail going down and will not go up at all. The motor is running ok and the sensors are aligned. Could it be the limit switch is bad ?

Answer
Hi Gil,

Remember the door opener does nothing more than you!  Disconnect the door from the opener and check it by hand. No more than 10 pounds to open or close and the door should stop at the half way point. If these criteria are not met, fix the issue, or call a door repair person.
Sears openers have a lot of issue's and without seeing the product it makes it hard to diagnose. Check the date code on the front or rear panel and if the opener is older that 1996, replace it. Hope this helps,

YOurs in doors.

mike  

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre