Garage Doors/Liftmaster 1/3 HP Grumpy in the Morning

Hi Mike,

Hoping you can help me.  We have 4 single garage doors - all Liftmaster 1/3 HP and 3 of the 4 are really violent each morning when opened.  It is almost as if it jerks really hard - but it only does it the first time.  After that, they open and close very smoothly.  We had a repairman - jack of all trades - come out and his diagnosis was that the seal on the bottom when sitting idle long enough was creating a very strong suction...told us to get some lithium grease and keep lubed etc...which has not worked at all.

Does this sound like an adjustment issue for a professional?  the puzzle is that it only does it the very first time each day?  Any ideas or suggestions??

Hi Gregory,

Take some vaseling and with the door open, lightly spread vaseline down the vinle/ wood trim where it meets the door in the down position. When the door/trim is painted with latex paint, overnight the paint becomes taky and will stick the door to the trim. Long term the trim should be replaced and not painted. Hope this helps,

Yours in doors.

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken