Garage Doors/Garage door opener

I bought a new remote for my Stanley door opener. I find the instructions a bit confusing and I can't get the travel action right. The remote opens the door about 3 ft and stops Press again and it closes. I suspect that I have incorrectly set the up and down limits The remote has 3
buttons. 1 large and 2 smaller. I think the large button is the open /shut control and the smaller ones the travel length controls?   Any help please.

Hi Russell,

The remote control has nothing to do with the limits in the opener.
Depending on the age of the unit would tell me which limining system you have. The older units had 2 white pins, one for up and one for down, but be carfull, if you run the door too far and it jambs you could break the motor gears housing and there are no parts available for Stanley's anymore.

Hope this helps,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken