Garage Doors/garage opener

I used to close my garage door just by pressing once the garage opener button (on the wall). Now I have to hold the button to close the garage door. Do you know what the issue is? Is this something I can fix or I need to call a professional? Thanks

HI J.,

You have safety cells towards the bottom of your garage door tracks. Something is either blocking them or they are defective. Most likely if you adjust them they will be fine. Make sure they point directly at each other and any/all lights are solid and not blinking. Depending on the manufacturer, replacements are readily available.

Hope this helps,
Yours in doors,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken