Garage Doors/Craftsman 1/2 HP Door Stuck

Hi Mike,

My door opener would not close a week ago. The incandescent bulb on the motor would just keep blinking. The green light on the wall mounted opener was flashing. I pressed and let go of the lock button on the wall mounted opener fixing the problem. (I never press the lock button when using the door and only use the kill switch for the incandescent bulb on the wall mounted opener.)

Today I opened the garage door but it would not close. Same problem with the incandescent bulb blinking. The green light on the wall mounted door opener was not blinking but was green.

The green led light on both door sensors were green and solid. I put my hand in front of the passenger side door sensor and the green light went out. I put my hand in front of the driver's side door sensor, but the green light stayed lit green.

What does this mean with regard to the door not closing?

Thanks for your insights, Mike!

Hi Rick,  

The lite bulbs blinking is a self diagnosing feature that tells you your safety cells, devices at the bottom of the garage door vertical  tracks, are not in alignment, or there is an electrical issue with them. There should be one cell with solid green or gold LED, and one with a green LED, which when the cells are blocked, will keep the door from closing, the light bulbs blink and your remotes will not function. You need to look at the cells and make sure they point directly at each other. If you are absolutely sure they are facing each other its time to check the wiring for breaks or wires loose at the motor head.

Hope this helps,

YOurs in doors,

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken