Garage Doors/LiftMaster535lm-01 replacement

Hi Mike,

I have a powerlift WR827 opener controlled by a 535lm-01 controller.  I recently experienced a power surge t that burnt a hole in the 535lm-01 PCB. I bought a replacement 535lm-01 and mounted it directly to the wr827 as it was configured previously (no transformer).  But it does not work.  Am I missing something in the install? Is there possibly additional damage to my system?
If I hit the relay in the 827 manually the door will open and close.

Hi John,

If the unit you have does not have photo-cells as a part of the opener, than nothing can bring it to meet UL325 safety requirments. All openers today have to meet the UL requirements and my personal favorite is the Liftmaster line of products. The 8550 belt drive is a great opener and can be seen @ The installed price should run between $400 and $500. That would not include any repairs necessary to the door. A door opener does nothing more than you do and the installing company should make sure the door meets operational standards. As always I recommend you go to an accredited dealer if possible. They can be found @

Garage Doors

Mike Whitacre

I will not answer questions about garage door openers 20 years old or older as they are unsafe, PURCHASE A NEW ONE. How many cell phones have you owned in 20 years? I have 40 years in the garage door industry and have seen almost everything. I sat on the Wayne/Dalton dealers board in 1986,1987,and 1988. I am on the IDEA board of directors ( and am accredited by same. I will, to the best of my ability answer your questions on doors or openers. I will not deal with shinbuster type doors. Replace it if you have one! If your question is about stretch type springs, call an IDEA accredited dealer and have torsion springs installed.

I have been in the overhead door industry for 40 years. I have dealt with all major brands of garage doors and openers. I have been a member of the International Door Association for 25 years( My speacialty is working with and understanding stretch and torsion springs. However, I will never recommened a customer to deal with a garage door spring.

International Door Association, Door and Access Manufacturer's association, Institute of Door Education and Accreditation, American Legion

I have 2 years of collage , am on the IDEA board of directors, and if you didn't notice have been in the industry for 40 years!

I recieved the Train the Trainer certification from the Institute of Door Education and Accreditation in April 2001.

Cal Ripken