Gastroenterology/nausea

sureshrana wrote at 2014-06-23 10:33:12
Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms of many conditions such as:

Motion sickness or seasickness

Early stages of pregnancy (nausea occurs in approximately 50%-90% of all pregnancies; vomiting in 25%-55%)

Medication-induced vomiting

Intense pain

Emotional stress (such as fear)

Gallbladder disease

Food poisoning

Infections (such as the "stomach flu")

Overeating

A reaction to certain smells or odors

Heart attack

Concussion or brain injury

Brain tumor

Ulcers

Some forms of cancer

Bulimia or other psychological illnesses

Gastroparesis or slow stomach emptying (a condition often seen in people with diabetes)

Ingestion of toxins or excessive amounts of alcohol

The causes of vomiting differ according to age. For children, it is common for vomiting to occur from a viral infection, food poisoning, milk allergy, motion sickness, overeating or feeding, coughing, or blocked intestines and illnesses in which the child has a high fever.

The timing of the nausea or vomiting can indicate the cause. When appearing shortly after a meal, nausea or vomiting may be caused by food poisoning, gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), an ulcer, or bulimia. Nausea or vomiting one to eight hours after a meal may also indicate food poisoning. However, certain food borne bacteria, such as salmonella, can take longer to produce symptoms.

sureshrana wrote at 2014-06-23 10:33:12

Motion sickness or seasickness

Medication-induced vomiting

Intense pain

Emotional stress (such as fear)

Gallbladder disease

Food poisoning

Infections (such as the "stomach flu")

Overeating

A reaction to certain smells or odors

Heart attack

Concussion or brain injury

Brain tumor

Ulcers

Some forms of cancer

Gastroenterology

Miranda