Gastroenterology/Gall Bladder Removal

My wife (mid 40's) went to the ER 6 months ago with an "attack"
in the gall bladder region. She had already been told she had gerd by her family doctor and put on prevacid for years. After lots of tests, an ultrasound showed a couple small gallstones the ER doc said shouldn't be causing a problem. She was given a new proton pump inhibitor and a $17K bill. Since then she went symptom free, but after going back on the prevacid had two severe flare-ups in the middle of the night. This has led her to be scheduled for gallbladder removal in a few weeks. This seems like a lot of guesswork to relieve these severe attacks (the assumption is the stones "might" have moved, etc.). She decided it wasn't an ulcer because the H. pylori was negative. My question is: how do we know she didn't pass these stones at this late date, even if they were the problem? She claims she might just make more anyway...and she is scared of an emergency procedure.

Hi Nathan

I think, you are good husband.
Your wife is possible belongs to 4F’s (Forty--the age over 40 years of age; Female--sex;
Fat—overweight issue, Fear-anxiety, depression). 4F’s remain the basic canon among risk factors that determine the development of gallbladder stone.
U.S. is champion of gallbladder removal, thanks to technology (laparoscopic cholecystectomy) and brilliant technique and great willing to do that by American surgeons’.
U.S. is also champion by using medications that suppress the stomach acidity.
God Bless America!

I have totally different viewpoint. I work with people after gallbladder removal and I know that 20% of the patients eventually suffer from pain and indigestion after cholecystectomy (post cholecystectomy syndrome). Surgery can remove gallbladder, but cannot remove the reasons for GB-stones development. Go to the internet, use keywords “Peter Melamed PhD., gallbladder removal, pain, sphincter of Oddy dysfunction, bile reflux, bile salt diarrhea”; so, you can understand many interesting things. On the other hand, you can look oat my website.

Stones are not the reason for surgery. Gallbladder attacks, with nausea, pain, temperature may show inflammation of the gallbladder. If there are not such symptoms, everything has to be done to make bile liquid and alkaline, decrease spasm of the sphincter of Oddy, and improve the hormones, weight, and mood.

Now, it is your question: how do we know she didn't pass these stones at this late date, even if they were the problem? She claims she might just make more anyway...and she is scared of an emergency procedure.

People can pass the small GB-stones without symptoms. Small stones can be getting soft and go out. Instead of fear, it would be better to focus on the healing diet, drinking Karlovy Vary healing mineral water, taking herbs and nutritional supplements, do exercises and abdominal massage, restore the friendly intestinal flora, etc. It is safe and effective and safe your $17K.

I wish your wife and you good health without ER and hospitals.

I helped many by phone consultations; therefore, I can be helpful for you too.

Peter Melamed, Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco
(415) 409-3939

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN