I have only one kidney since the age of 4.  I am now in my 50's.  When I was in my 20's I had a severe case of diarrhea which lasted for two weeks.  This seems to be what is happening now, more than 30 years later.  I try to drink plenty of water to keep from getting dehydrated and am avoiding (completely) caffeine and milk, and anything else that will make the situation worse.  My current condition is now in its 12th day and continues.  

I would appreciate any advice you can give me that may help alleviate and/or stop it.  Since I have only one kidney I have had issues with diarrhea in the past, but this is only the second time that it has lasted two weeks or more.

Thank you.

Hi Serena
I am regret to hear about your situation with 12 days diarrhea.
I do not have much information.

What will be beneficial for you?

Drink mineral solution such as Pedialyte or Infalyte over-the-counter drinks,. This is good for children, so you can drink four times more recommended amount. Low minerals can lead to metabolic acidosis and damage your kidney. Check your acidity by litmus paper, measure your saliva and urine pH. Safe zone is pH more than 6.6

Your best friend in case of diarrhea is friendly intestinal bacteria (probiotic). Buy good quality living bacteria and take 3 times a day on empty stomach. I use Natren - Healthy Trinity Dairy Free

Two cups of the strong Green Tea may decrease diarrhea. Drink Chamomile, Licorice teas, as well.

Avoid milk, sugar, wheat and starches except white rice. Eat boiled chicken or fish, vegetable soup, boiled vegetables (except cabbage family), soft-boiled eggs.

If I have more information, I can give you more suggestion.
Call me in my office Biotherapy Clinic, (415) 409-3939
Peter Melamed, PhD

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN