Hi Dr. Melamed,

Could exercising (such as running) right after lunch/dinner cause appendicitis? Sometimes I feel pain in the lower right abdomen during exercising after meal? My boys are very active and they usually run around after meal. Should I stop them doing so?

What causes appendicitis?

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

Hi Michelle

Running after meals is not a good idea. This is time for digestion and rest. The blood goes to the stomach, liver, pancreas, and intestines for this process.
Running requires the increasing of the blood supply to the muscles, bones, tendons. Professional athletes know about that and usually have 2 hours break between meals and training. In the animal world, many creatures eat and than sleep.

I do not have data about appendicitis after running, but there are many evidences about acute pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) in the marathon runners. It relates to the dehydration, lost of the minerals and lactic acidosis (acidity).
What causes appendicitis? Be honest, I cannot answer this question. If doctors could know cause, they can prevent appendicitis. Nobody can prevent appendicitis.
I wish you and entire your family health.
Peter Melamed, Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic of Dan Francisco  

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN