hello peter, my abdomen looks and feels bloated all the time.  im on lithium which makes me bloated. when i drink lots of water my abdomen feels even more bloated. i do have to have salt for lithium intake reasons. i am currently reducing lithium in an attempt to lessen the edema. what is causing my abdomen to get so big on lithium and how do i reverse the problem.

Hi Christopher

Bloating that increases after water drinking can be the fluid retention. The first that come to my mind is low thyroid function. Goiter and water retention is the most common low thyroid symptoms in lithium treated persons, occurring in about half of patients. Other symptoms may be constipation, fatigue, depression, cold feet, brittle nails, etc.

Check your neck for enlargement.
Next, test yourself for a low thyroid by testing your basal body temperature. Immediately upon awakening in the morning – before you’ve moved at all – place the thermometer in your armpit, leaving it in place for 10 minutes. If your average temperature is less than 97.8 degrees, you could have an under active thyroid.
After that, to rule out my suspicion, asks your doctor about “thyroid panel test.”

I have a few patients with similar problem.
I wish you health.
Peter Melamed, PhD
Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN