Gastroenterology/Sodium Butyrate

I am in the process of healing my gut.  Over the past year I have come a long way in healing my "leaky gut" issues which was behind some autoimmune issues.   I have used different probiotics, glutamine, Slippery elm and on and on.   I am trying to implement Sodium Butyrate into my program right now but an running into a problem.  As soon as I take on does, just 100mg or more the next day I become constipated, my stools become dry and hard to pass, this can last up to a week before it clears up to normal, which as this point is not bad, but I know there is more healing needed.  The butyrate is excellent for healing the intestinal permeability and for down regulating inflammation through out the body, so I definitely want to work it in, but why am I having this problem.  I have tried it 3 times and each time this happens for about a week, I go back to normal, try it again and it happens all over again.  Why?  What does it mean when this happens, I am sure there is a reason for this reaction, just do not know why.  Maybe you can explain.  Thank you.

At this time I am not using any probiotics, taking a break and wish to use the butyrate in lieu of them for the future.

I see you have done a serious research about intestinal health.
So, you want to use Sodium Butyrate as mono treatment.
I agree with you that this can be helpful for your leaky gut syndrome and subsequent immune issues’. We know that butyrate is the primary small chain fatty acid (SCFA) produced by intestinal fermentation.
We have a evidence about positive action butyrate for colitis with diarrhea. Intestinal bacteria produce butyrate and high blood level of it may confirm SIBO.

Typically SCFAs stimulate the peristaltic
In your case, we have opposite effect. Butyrate has anti inflammation, mucous producing, and signaling action; therefore, constipation may demonstrate the healing action in your gut.

I helped many my patients with leaky gut syndrome by using anti lectin diet (no gluten, no milk, no nuts, no grains and beans). I describe it in my EBook. I strongly believe that almost all digestive problems are connected with dysbiosis, metabolic acidosis, and low function of the pancreas.
For these reasons, European doctors have used Karlovy Vary healing mineral water either from thermal spring or prepared from genuine Karlovy Vary thermal spring salt at home.
Barberine may help with dysbiosis and digestion.
Good quality probiotics in proper doses by mouth and inside are difficult to overestimate.
In all chronic digestive disorders the CDSA and the CDSA 2.0 test can offer a comprehensive look at the overall health of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.

This is my simple advice now. If you have constipation after butyrate use cellular magnesium-potassium until you will be satisfited with your peristaltic.

I hope you will be succeed with your research in your way to proper digestive health.

Peter Melamed PhD
Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco    

QUESTION: Your mention of SIBO makes me ask this question.  I may have SIBO,since in the past have had bloating etc that was relieved by antibiotics, currently through diet alone I have stabilized it since I have removed all the items you pointed out, basically all carbs of any type to not feed the bacteria.  Could the butyrate be aggravating this condition?  Does that mean that I will not be able to implement it, or should I keep trying.  I have been using capsules of Magnesium citrate, 400-600 daily to help with the constipation and hydrate my stools, but does not make much of a difference when I take the butyrate, still takes a while to get over it,though after I do my stools are much better as far as moisture is concerned.

So basically, does my propensity to SIBO prevent my using butyrate.  I have had some problems with probiotics in the past but not to this extent.  Thank you.

Hi John
High level of the small chain fatty acid (SCFA), for example, butyrate in the intestines and blood may be one of the lab tests to confirm SIBO and fermentation in the gut.
Think hard about mono treatment with sodium butyrate.

In my EBook, I explain in detail my way to help person with SIBO:
1.   Normalizing stomach acidity
2.   Enhance pancreatic function
3.   Promote flushing function in the intestines
4.   Normalizing pylorus valve and ileocecal valve
5.   Increasing beneficial bacteria in the gut
6.   Enhance the immunity, etc

Therefore, I do not know mono therapy for SIBO. If you have heard many good things about butyrate, introduce slowly small doses’ and increase magnesium-potassium, take raw, fresh vegetable blends in the morning.

Good Luck and Good Health to You.

Peter Melamed,Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco  

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN