After excluding other causes for my symptoms my primary doctor suspects I might have a malapsorpotion issue.  I have been having numbness and twitching in extremities, face and eyes.  I've been to a nuerologist and have all MRI and nothing showed the cause.  All bloodwork has been fine.  We had suspected a B12 or magnesium deficiency but those levels were fine. I've have also had constipation and diarhea back and forth for two yrs.  
Two questions:  even though my bloodwork for B12 /magnewsium was fine - could I still be deficient? (apparently that dicifiency can cause those symptoms) Have you ever had a patient (or knew of one) that showed these symptoms and malapsorption or leaky gut was the cause??  I have an appointment next week with a gastro doctor.
thank you for your time!

Dear Karen,

At first, your two questions.
1.   Even though my bloodwork for B12 /magnewsium was fine - could I still be deficient? Yes. “Normal” vitamin B-12 blood level in the U.S. is lower than in other countries. “Normal” level of the magnesium in the blood does not show the real picture because magnesium is intracellular mineral and need to be checked in cells, for example, in the red blood cells. If you have symptoms of the neuropathy (numbness and twitching in extremities, face and eyes) and have dyspepsia, I may presume deficiency of many vital nutrients including cobalt, zinc, magnesium, iron, vitamins, essential fatty acids, etc.

2.   Have you ever had a patient (or knew of one) that showed these symptoms and malapsorption or leaky gut was the cause??
 I treat patient like you every day. Malabsorption syndrome means you cannot properly digest and assimilate food. The core of the proper digestion is pancreatic digestive enzymes and bile. In my EBook” Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You” part 1, I popularly and medically explain the reasons for malabsorption.

Finally, by my decade of the medical experience, pharmaceutical drugs cannot treat the root of your problems. They will mask the symptoms and make the condition chronic.
Please, educate yourself. Improving function of the pancreas and bile, intestinal motility, healing of the leaky gut syndrome, restoration of the beneficial intestinal bacteria, decreasing toxicity and deficiencies on the vital nutrients can help with Malabsorption Syndrome. This is process.

It will be unprofessional to give you medical advice without knowing your medical date, life-style, eating habits, tests, etc.
I may give good advice if you fill up the Biotherapy’s Patient Questionnaire and send it to me by email or fax.
After that, call to my office for phone consultation.

I wish you good health.

Peter Melamed. Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic in San Francisco
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN