Gastroenterology/Bowel Movements

I'm not sure if I have the right specialist, but here it goes:

Is it normal that I can go 4 or 5 days without having a bowel movement? I'm not constipated or anything like that....I just dont get the urge to go.

This has been going on for at least six months.

Please advise.

Thank you!

Dear Ari,

No doubt, you ask the right person. Dealing with constipation is my everyday job.
I am sure you are constipated and you lost felling to go.

Having constipation can be sign of various problems. This neglected disorder is treated symptomatically by laxatives. The best way is to verify the reasons for chronic constipation to treat the root of the problem.

Some reasons for your constipation can be:
  Candida-yeast overgrow. It is possible if he took antibiotics, changed the water supply (chlorinated water). Constipation/diarrhea may be also symptoms of it.
  Food  allergy, sensitivity
  Low amount of the friendly intestinal bacteria
  Low pancreatic function. Gas, bloating, left upper abdominal pain
  Low amount of the bile. Bile constipation is in people that avoid fatty foods (olive oil, eggs, butter). These products stimulate the releasing of bile. Bile is natural simulator of the intestinal peristaltic  
  Not enough fiber in the diet
  Not enough magnesium, potassium.
  Low thyroid function. Some areas in Iran where the water supply is from mountains may have low amount of iodine. Temperature test may show that
  Depression. Combination of constipation and depression is well-known medical fact
  Lack of exercise, sedentary life style
  Some medications
  Changes in life or routine such as travel
  Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement. This is important point.
Your chronic constipation may cause many symptoms, which are very far from colon and you are in risk of the diverticulosis and colorectal cancer. Do not kill the messenger.
It will be unprofessional to give you advices without knowing your age, life style, eating habits, medications, and medical date.
Have good health.

Peter Melamed. Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinisc of San Francisco
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN