Gastroenterology/Dull discomfort in upper abdomen

Hello Dr.

I'm a 28 year old woman.

Last Saturday after a good meal I've noticed that I was having a dull ache in my upper abdomen, center - slightly more to the left (basically epigastrium). It felt like a dull ache/discomfort, vaguely crampy as it came in waves but VERY dull, nothing acute.

I could continue my activities normally, but it felt like something was tender and weird inside the upper abdomen, kind of like when you get hit in the plexus and you have that tender feeling and can't breathe in deeply.

In the evening this sensation disappeared but starting from that day now I get it occasionally during the day. I can feel it around 1/2 of the day and it bothers me. I get it more often after eating, although there were 2 occasions in which I ate but didn't get the discomfort and once when I got it and I only had 2 bites of a cookie.

It a vague discomfort, nothing to bend me over. Sometimes I can feel it more deeply inside, towards the back. I feel like I need to breathe in more deeply. It's been 4 days now and I still have it. Sometimes I don't feel it at all (for hours on end) but then it comes back again.

I eat normally and have a normal appetite otherwise. I don't feel fullness after eating, no heartburn, no diarrhea, indigestion, vomiting, etc.

I've never had stomach problems before, so I don't know what this can be?

Last abdominal ultrasound was 3 months ago and it was normal.

I have bad IBS in my intestines, colon is always swollen and spastic (I can palpate it easily when lying down) and I suffer from anxiety. I had a sigmoidoscopy 2 months ago and it was clear.

I can't afford seeing another doctor right now.

I took omeprazole and one time it helped and 2 times the discomfort didn't subside.

I'm worried about pancreatic cancer, is that an exaggerated worry considering my age, symptoms and ultrasound 3 months ago? Can this be IBS or something else?

Dear Jenny

You did not express any symptoms of cancer. Stop thinking about it.
If your symptoms go up and down, I may presume functional disorder such as hiatal hernia, functional dyspepsia, spasm of sphincter of Oddi, etc. I do not believe in IBS. Typically behind this diagnosis are dysbiosis (Candida-yeast overgrow, SIBO), lower function of the pancreas and bile, deficiencies (vitamins D, C, B-12, essential fatty acids, etc), inner toxicity.

If you want to know more about functional GI conditions, read my EBook “Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You”, part 1. Read functional disorders. Pancreas is core of proper digestion. Go to functional disorders.

Healthy way of eating I describe in my my EBook “Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You”, part 2. Healthy diet is vital.

The first step is no milk, sugars, white flour. Take good quality probiotics and pancreatic digestive enzymes, magnesium. Drink plenty of water. Chamomile, Peppermint, Licorice teas is also useful.
Be careful with acid suppressors’.

Have good health without cookies.

Peter Melamed, Ph.D.

Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco  

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN