I am a 40 year old woman.  I changed my diet about a year ago to try and eat a lot healthier.  I stopped eating processed foods and started eating a lot more beans, spices, fruits, and vegetables.  However, when I did make this dietary change, I noticed that about once every month in the morning before I ate anything for breakfast, I would get pretty bad pain when my bowels would fill. When I cut out some of the veggies, fruits, and limited the spices--when I did that I had no problems.  I don't eat dairy so I know this isn't due to being lactose intolerant.  I am just wondering if this is the start of IBS or something else? I have made appt with my dr. but just curious about any insight in the meantime.

Dear Jeni
I am glad you started focus on the healthy diet. If you have one time a month pain in the morning before breakfast, I cannot suspect something serious, but small alarm bell. It can be various functional disorders of GI tract. Functional means there is no structural damage, lab test typically normal; therefore, doctors typically blame acid reflux or give the antidepressant.

What functional disorders I may presume?
•   Food sensitivity ??
•   Functional Dyspepsia
•   Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction type III
•   Sliding Hiatal Hernia

I hope, I do not scare you with medical terminology. Functional digestive disorders are not for medication treatment (antibiotics, acid suppressors, antispasmodic, painkillers, psych drugs, etc.). I believe, it can lead to chronic condition and some side effects.
I use in the functional digestive disorders non-drug, non-knife approach. My patients typically do:
•   Healthy alkaline diet. More information about diet you may find in the my EBook“Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You”, part 2. Healthy alkaline diet is vital.
•   Drinking healing mineral water prepared from genuine Karlovy Vary thermal spring salt. It is very popular in the Europe.
•   Good quality and amount probiotics
•   Good quality and amount of the pancreatic digestive enzymes’
•   Some vitamins, minerals, herbal formulas, herbal teas

It will be unprofessional to give you medical advice without knowing your medical dates.

If you will experience morning abdominal pain, I can give you good advice if fill up the Biotherapy’s Patient Questionnaire and send it to me by email or fax.

After that, call to my office for phone consultation. I help many with your situation.

Have good health.

Peter Melamed. Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic in San Francisco
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN