I've been troubled by heartburn all my life. About 25 yrs ago, a doctor cited the new theory that it might be caused by helicobacter pylori and put me on an antibiotic [I don't recall which one] regimen for a few weeks. Nothing changed.

Now something curious has happened. 2 weeeks ago, I came down with bronchitis, and a doctor prescribed Levofloxacin [Levaquin]. The bronchitis has diminished, whether because of the drug or just the passage of time. But one sure change is the virtual disappearance of my chronic heartburn--for 2 weeks I have not had to reach for Zantac or Tums. My question therefore is, Is this a coincidence or have i just stumbled onto a cure for my particular type of heartburn? Is there any literature on this?

Dear Manfred

I may presume, bacteria, which resided in the stomach or esophagus, caused your heartburn.
Of course, it might be H. Pylori. In your case, one shut kills two: your bronchitis and heartburn.

However, antibiotics also kill the beneficial intestinal bacteria causing dysbiosis (Candida-yeast overgrowth or SIBO- small intestine bacterial overgrowth) with the development of heartburn.
Zantac or Tums are symptomatic treatment and constant taking them may lead to side effects.

If you experience symptoms, I can give good advice if you fill up the Biotherapy’s Patient Questionnaire and send it to me by email or fax.

After that, call to my office for phone consultation. I help many with your situation.

Have good health.

Peter Melamed. Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic in San Francisco
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN